Metallage (me-tal’-la-gee): When a word or phrase is treated as an object within another expression.
Looking at the so-called “race” to the White House, the word “endorsement” has taken on new significance in the Republican Party:
- I’m not saying “No.” (Paul Ryan)
- I may have started moving in that direction already! (Bobby Jindal)
- “Endorsement” is a pretty strong word. (Marco Rubio)
- I endorse the electoral process, the people of America, and the opportunity to offer an endorsement endorsing the aforementioned, and, Donald Trump’s singularly clear endorsement of it as well, and Donald and I stand united in our shared positive regard for processes of voting, the people of America, and the freedom to endorse or not to endorse candidates of our choice. (John Kasich)
- Post your own metallage on the “Comments” page!
Definition courtesy of “Silva Rhetoricae” (rhetoric.byu.edu).