Apophasis (a-pof’-a-sis): The rejection of several reasons why a thing should or should not be done and affirming a single one, considered most valid.
Should I wear a mask?
1. No–It makes my face sore!
2. No–It curtails my breathing. Did you hear? 100s of people are suffocating.
3. No–they are too expensive—five dollars for a twenty-pack.
4. No–I am an immature bozo and don’t like people bossing me around.
5. They are against my freedom of speech.
On the other hand, they save lives and slow the disease’s spread. I guess I’ll get one of the cool-looking black ones like movie stars wear!
Definition courtesy of “Silva Rhetoricae” (rhetoric.byu.edu)
Paper and Kindle editions of The Daily Trope are available on Amazon under the title The Book of Tropes.